Tuesday 29 May 2012

Stella & Dot

Last night my friend Whitney brought me out to a Stella & Dot trunk show that her friend Kim was hosting. It was such a nice time and the jewelry was so gorgeous, it was a real struggle to not buy more than I did. I went in with a definite budget, but after a glass of wine and some sweet potato chips and artichoke dip, I was telling myself that spending three times my budget wasn't such a bad idea.


In the end, I was good, I stuck to the budget and got this really interesting gold plated brass necklace that reminds me of the Pen Necklace Joan wears on Mad Men. I can't wait to get it!


For those who haven't heard of Stella & Dot, it's a really interesting company, founded a few years ago by a mother who was looking to create career alternatives for today's busy woman. It kind of runs on the same premise as Avon, where the product is only offered through Stella & Dot "Stylists". The stylists bring samples of the goods and make a percentage of the sales orders from the trunk shows. The host of the trunk show also gets a little kickback, in the form of free or discounted jewelry.



The necklace on the far right is the one I bought!
It also gives you the sense that you're helping out a smaller cause, while a lot of the Stella & Dot pieces are clearly inspired by larger department store costume jewelry, (one ring in particular looked EXACTLY like one BCBG was selling back in 2010) you get the sense that you are shopping in a more intimate setting, and that your money may be better spent because you actually get to hear the story, and meet the sales person.  Plus it didn't hurt that most of the pieces were things that I would want to buy regardless of who was selling it to me.





If you're interested to learn more about Stella and Dot, contact the faaaaabulous Catherine DeJong, she's the Stella and Dot Stylist that was putting the trunk show on, check out her page at www.stelladot.com/catherinedejong

7 comments:

  1. I want all of it lol!!
    Great work capturing the collection so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i want them all as well!!! ahaha they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lot of great pieces
    http://yajairasfashionnotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog from Catherine DeJong's FB- so much fun to find other Ottawa fashonistas! I went to one of Catherine's S&D parties in the winter and got some beautiful gifts! You chose a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Me too! And thanks! I'm ridiculously excited to get the necklace!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Stella & Dot, but it sounds interesting and the jewelry looks great! :)

    Hope you've had an great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for such a great write up, Jenn!

    Ladies, I'm the Stella & Dot Stylist, Catherine. I would be happy to chat with any of you who are interested in learning more about Stella & Dot, the jewels or about potentially hosting a trunk show where you can get tonnes of jewellery for free! Feel free to give me a shout at catherine.dejong@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you guys!

    Thanks again, Jennifer!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Let's TALK